With news of the devastating earthquake in Haiti, numerous organizations and individuals are springing into action to help aid and provide relief for the multitude of people in need. Regardless of religious beliefs or views on why this happened (cough cough pat robertson – check out the real deal with the devil here) we should all do whatever we can to help the earthquake victims. As Donald Miller reminds us on his blog, our response as Christians should be; “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in..”
If you are not concerned with what is happening in Haiti, that should concern you!
So how can we help? I have tried to compile a list of ways to help. This is by no way comprehensive – if you know of some other great ways to help please comment below and add to the list.
- Pray – more than anything we should take the time and pray for all of those devestated by this tradgedy. But prayer is only one step – we can do more than only pray…
- World Vision – Your gift now will help distribute life-saving relief supplies – including food, clean water, blankets, and tents — to children and families devastated by the earthquake and aftershocks in Haiti.
- Nazarene Compassionate Ministries – Compassion as a Lifestyle – A mission oriented denomination with many ministries and ministers in Haiti.
- Hands and Feet Project – Audio Adrenaline front man Mark Stuart was in Haiti as the earthquake struck seeing first hand the terror and damage.
- Mission of Hope: Haiti – Providing love, compassion, healing, and hope for a nation.
- One Day’s Wage – One Day’s Wages (ODW) is an international grassroots movement dedicated to ending extreme global poverty.
- Samaritan’s Purse – Help for Haiti Quake Victims
- World Concern – Hope for the survivors – World Concern has been in Haiti since 1978
- Haitian Christian Outreach – Doing something for Haiti that will last.
- North American Mission Board – Southern Baptist Disaster Relief
- Catholic Relief Services – Catholic Relief Services (CRS) has a team in place in Haiti delivering life-saving supplies to families affected by a massive earthquake
- American Red Cross
- Registered Nurse Response Network – Registered Nurses are able to volunteer to help
- Mercy Corps
- Oxfam America
- The Salvation Army
- Save The Children
- Doctors Without Borders USA
- U.S. Fund For Unicef
- Great List of Numerous Denominations and Organizations willing to Help – HERE
How will you help?